A leading expert on English identity and British politics, Michael will explain the history and present status of English national identity. Key questions addressed include:
• What has been the impact of Scottish devolution of English identity?
• What is the origin of rising support for UKIP?
• Why is the government currently pursuing “English votes for English laws”?
• What are the characteristics of English national identity?
• What is the future of Britain?
This is a unique opportunity to listen to and ask questions of an expert on English identity.
In addition to his Professorship at Queen Mary’s University, Michael is Director of the Mile End Institute, has been awarded a number of visiting fellowships and was recently invited to join the Centre for Constitutional Change.
He has also contributed to article in the Guardian, Prospect, Financial Times, New Statesman and Conservative Home. He has given interviews to the BBC, Newsnight, and BBC News 24 amongst others.
Talk will be for around an hour. Following this, there will be a q&a session, where you will have the opportunity to ask him specific questions.
The talk will start at 7pm sharp, seating is unreserved.