We’re closed to the public but open for venue hire (within current guidelines).
Visits are by arrangement only.
We’ll continue to update this page with visitor information as things develop.
When are you going to open again?
• We have formulated a phased approach to opening. We are currently in the second phase.
• The first phase enabled our staff team, in small numbers, to return to work.
• The second phase allows “Closed Door Events” where performers can be filmed and broadcast online, subject to risk assessments.
• The third phase, “Socially-distanced and Hybrid Events” allows audiences, communities and guests back into the building with strict measures in place.
Is it safe to come to Conway Hall?
• Yes, we have worked to ensure the safety of all our visitors and have been independently audited by our Health & Safety advisors. Everyone has a part to play, though, in maintaining a safe environment by following the guidelines within the building. Visits are by arrangement only.
Will I have to wear a face covering if I visit Conway Hall?
• Yes. Please bring your own face covering, although one can be provided.
Can I hold my event in December/January?
• Yes, subject to risk assessments we are open for hire.
Can I have an event with just performers, but no audiences?
• Yes, you can! We are currently in our second phase, “Closed Door Events”.
What is a “Hybrid Event”?
• A “Hybrid Event” is where physical audiences can attend and online audiences can join and participate via livestreaming, using our new, state-of-the-art AV set-up.
When will you be able to do catering again?
• Our partners, Hubbub Catering, are risk-assessed for all catering requirements within current guidelines.
During Covid-19, any visit to Conway Hall is by arrangement only, via email or our contact page.
Conway Hall is situated on historic Red Lion Square in Holborn, central London.
Office Opening Hours (general visiting hours and telephone queries): Mon – Fri: 10.00 – 14.00
The Library is currently closed. However, please use our contact page for any questions.
The offices and library are closed on Bank Holidays and National Holidays unless advertised otherwise.
There is free WiFi for guests and visitors to use on site.
All the ground-floor rooms are fully-accessible by wheelchair. Main Hall (street access, step-free), Brockway Room (street access, step-free), Bertrand Russell Room (street access, shallow ramp), Hive Cafe (street access, step-free), There is also an accessible toilet on the ground floor opposite the Brockway Room. Please see Parking below for more details on spaces.
Unfortunately, due to the age and Grade II listing of the building, there is no lift access to rooms above the ground floor. This includes the library, balcony seating in the main hall, Artists’ Room, or Lingua Diversa language classes on the second floor.
Hard of Hearing
If you have hearing-loss and wear a hearing aid, the main hall and Brockway Room have induction loops fitted which feed straight from the PA system, or use ambient sound in smaller rooms. We also have a portable loop available for small groups, such as courses and discussions.
Getting to Conway Hall
Route 98 comes via Oxford Street and terminates in Red Lion Square. Routes 19, 38, 55 and 243 pass by the Theobalds Road entrance to the Hall. Any bus to Holborn, Grays Inn Road or Southampton Row/Kingsway comes close to Conway Hall.
Holborn Station (Central and Piccadilly lines) is approximately five minutes walk away. Also within reasonable walking distance are Chancery Lane and Russell Square.
Travelling by Train and Coach
Farringdon, Euston, Waterloo & Waterloo East, Kings Cross and London’s Eurostar Terminal St. Pancras International are under 15 minutes journey from Conway Hall. See National Rail for more details and planning your journey. See Trainline for discounted tickets for trains and coaches.
There is a Cycle Hire docking station on the corner of Red Lion Square and Old North Street. There are two more docking stations on Theobald’s Road and on Red Lion Street. You can find more about cycle hire on the TFL website here: tfl.gov.uk/modes/cycling/santander-cycles
There are cycle racks available around the perimeter of Red Lion Square. Please see here for a google street view.
By Car: Parking, Loading, Congestion Charge and Emission Charge
There is metered car parking available in Red Lion Square and adjacent streets, unrestricted after 18.30, Saturdays after 13.30 and Sundays all day. Please note some parking areas are for “Residents Only” and there are other local restrictions. There is also one disabled parking bay directly in front of our main entrance, but blue badge holders can park for free in and around the Red Lion Square area following Camden’s Blue Badge Parking Scheme (Guide in PDF). Parking in Red Lion Square follows Camden Council’s Green Zone regulations (Map in PDF). More information on Camden’s website: https://www.camden.gov.uk/parking
Loading for events can take place from Red Lion Square or a designated loading bay opposite No. 47 Theobalds Road (rear exit of Conway Hall.)
We are within both the TFL congestion charge and Ultra Low Emission Zones. The Congestion Charge is an £11.50 daily charge for driving a vehicle within the charging zone between 07:00 and 18:00, Monday to Friday. The easiest way to pay is by setting up Auto Pay. Exemptions and discounts are available too.
You’ll also need to check if your vehicle is affected by the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ).
Current and future suspension dates can be found on the Camden Council website: camden.gov.uk/parking-bay-suspensions
With 3 out of 4 of London’s international airports are within 1 hour’s journey, Conway Hall is extremely accessible for international visitors travelling by air to Gatwick, Stansted, London City, Luton or Heathrow